I just returned from an awesome trip to Evansville to meet the “Dueling Computer Space” brothers, Ryan and Jason. While I was down there, Jason was showing me an interesting Donkey Kong pcb that I thought I’d share with the rest of you, see if we could get some insights.
Blue Donkey Kong Jr. Board
I poked around RGVAC, and there were quite a few mentions of this blue Donkey Kong Junior PCB, and they all call it a ‘bootleg’. However, would bootlegs really go to the length of silkscreening the little DK character? Seems unlikely. ‘MacMan’ theorizes that this is a ‘Junior King’ boardset;
Just a guess but there was a blue solder mask Donkey Kong Junior that was called Junior King (JK)… I had it a while back. I don’t remember the big K on donkey kongs chest… but it could be something. Try and burn a set of bootleg DK Jnr’s and see….
Maybe Jason can pop the pcb into a game and check the attract screen, see if it actually a ‘Junior King‘. There aren’t any pictures of the board on the CrazyKong website. Here are the photos of the pcb;
Here are the topics on RGVAC referencing the PCB;
- Bootleg Donkey Kong JR
- Picked up 2 new games Arabin and Donkey Kong JR
- ID: somekind of wierd d-kong board (Junior King Reference)
- FT: Donkey Kong Jr board, SF Bay Area
- HELP: PCB Identification – DK Jr. CT (Junior King Reference)
- Help! PCB ID
- Donkey Kong Jr bootleg – colour problem (Junior King Reference)
The pots may be evidence enough that this was a mass run bootleg PCB. If you can provide some other referenceable evidence that this definitely is or isn’t a bootleg DK Jr. PCB (Or have links to other old topics), drop a link / comment below. Thanks to Jason S. for letting me post about this boardset.
Here are some similar arcade posts
- Back on top of Donkey Kong Junior
- More bootleg artwork cabinets – Time Pilot & Vanguard?
- Donkey Kong WordPress Theme – Ver. 1
- Value of a set of Donkey Kong pushbuttons?
- Donkey Kong Arcade Game Restoration